15 December 2009

Voltage tolerance in North America



I did find a spec for AC power line tolerance in North America, 114 to 126 volts. So technically my power line at home which is usually at 126.5 volts is too high, but I say AC Propulsion needs to be more tolerant in cold weather right after driving.

The Wikipedia link is here. The excerpt follows:

"In the United States[3] and Canada[4], national standards specify that the nominal voltage at the source should be 120 V and allow a range of 114 to 126 V (-5% to +5%). "

[3] ANSI C84.1: American National Standard for Electric Power Systems and Equipment—Voltage Ratings (60 Hertz)

Tonight my power line read below 250 volts, 249.2 to be precise. I had no trouble charging, it started immediately and kept going. I cannot remember the last time I did NOT have trouble with the fast charger. So this supports my theory. Then again, it was not so cold tonight. Tomorrow will tell. But maybe, just maybe Wile E. Coyote (my alter ego in this context) finally caught a valid theory.

Who knows why my line voltage was below 250 tonight. Coincidence? The idea that winter voltage is higher because all the Air Conditioners are off is interesting, but it does not explain why waiting will usually get the car to accept the fast charge. Then again, neither does my theory unless it is somehow related to battery voltage. And besides, I bet the power company regulates for load conditions.

I know waiting usually will get it to start charging again. But a couple times a month I take the boss out dancing when I get home from work with 1% charge left. If it doesn't start charging right away, we have to take the gas car. And she doesn't like the gas car anymore!

So you see, Mini, I had to figure it out myself. I couldn't wait for the house call. Because tomorrow night is dancing night. And it is very important to keep the boss happy! (That would be my wife.)

No comments:

Post a Comment